The two-tone green tapestry makes this Claude St. Cyr Pillbox hat really unique.
Claude Saint Cyr Pillbox Hat Details
- Green pillbox hat from noted milliner Claude Saint Cyr.
- Woven tapestry with a medium green base with an overlay of a dark green zig-zag design.
- Green fabric lining.
- This hat is part of a collection that was made with traditional French Aubusson tapestry.
- This innovative collaboration between Saint-Cyr and her husband, interior designer Georges Martin, was inspired after Martin used tapestry to re-cover chairs in Saint-Cyr’s salon.
- The first collection was known as Aubusson and in all, over 160 hats were produced over the succeeding four years.
- The weavers, accustomed to making carpets, were taught how to build a hat and use finer weaves.
Who was Claude Saint Cyr
Claude Saint Cyr was one of the most important milliners of the 20th century. She was known for her innovative materials and designs and her label was worn by the most fashionable women of the day. Born Simone Naudet in 1911 in Paris, she began her millinery training at the age of 18 and worked working with notable Paris designers, including Jean Patou, Marie-Louise Carven and Rose Descat. Saint Cyr later trained in London, where she changed her professional name to Claude Saint-Cyr. Saint-Cyr established her own millinery salon in 1937 in Rue du Faubourg Saint-Honor̩, Paris and later opened another shop in London in 1950. In collaboration with British designer Norman Hartnell, her designs were favorites of the British royal family in the 1950s and 1960s and made hats for Queen Elizabeth for her 1953 coronation and the 1960 wedding veil of Princess Margaret. Saint-Cyr closed her salon in 1964 but began working with French milliner Jean Barthet, a supplier of hats to celebrities such as Princess Grace of Monaco and Maria Callas. Saint Cyr retired from in 1972 but continued to act as a consultant to bridal design houses until the mid-1990s. Claude Saint Cyr died in 2002.
Here’s a video on the making of French Aubusson tapestry.
Shipping & Returns
We normally ship within 3 – 5 business days. If there is an issue with shipping times you will be immediately notified. Clothing and accessories ship by USPS Priority Mail or FedEx. Jewelry ships First Class Insured. Overseas orders ship International First Class. Buyer is responsible for customs duties.
We know you may be wary about purchasing vintage items, so we do offer returns. If you are unhappy or the item does not fit, please notify Madge of a return request within 10 days of receipt of merchandise and return items within 30 days. We encourage you to read our complete return policy here.
Photos copyright © 2020 MadgesHatbox Vintage.
We are a proud member of Got Vintage. Check out their website.